Gubbio, situated at the foot of the Mount Ingino, is a charming town for its medieval look. Gubbio rose as an Umbrian centre with the name of Iguvium and became then an important religious place, as the ancient Tavole Eugubine witnesses, seven bronze plates recovered in the 15th century written in Umbrian language and containing customs and traditions of the town.
The Roman culture was settled in Gubbio, leaving importante traces, still observable in the beauty of the Theatre, that dates from the 1st century. C.E. and the Mausoleum. As many Italian towns, Gubbio was ruled by Signoria dominations, maximum example the Montefeltro family present in the territory of Gubbio from 1384 to 1508. In 1860 Gubbio was anexed to Umbria. During the II World War the town lives tragic days due to the power of the Germans, events that in June of 1944 flowed into the killing of fourty innocent citizens of Gubbio.
Palazzo dei Consoli, was built in the first part of the 14th century, by Angelo of Orvieto, according the inscription that can be red on the portal. The building has a gothic style, the belltower and the panoramic loggia dominates the palace that gives a wide view to the big suspended square.
Palazzo Ducale, of Longbard origin and restored a the end of the 15th century by order of Federico da Montefeltro, represents an important example of Renaissance architecture.
The Dome, gothic church of the 12th century, that contains inside interesting paintings and a Flemish cope in gold brocade.
Roman theatre dated from the 1st century C.E., is a very big structure and well preserved, evidence of the Roman presence in Gubbio.
Basilica of St. Ubaldo, dedicated to the Saint bishop and patron of the town, lived in the 12th century, has medieval origin but in 1514 was subject of a restoration work by the will of the Della Rovere family. Keeps a notable portal of '500 and a beautiful Franciscan kiosk , moreover in the left aisle have their place the Ceri.